Hill Country Lamb Chili
- 1 lb ground boneless leg of lamb
- 3 cups yellow onion
- 2 ounces Bowl of Red spice mix (see recipe)
- 8-16 oz Ro-Tel tomatoes with chilis
- 2 oz tomato paste
- 1-12 oz bottles Lone Star beer
- 2 cups diced sausage
- 2 Tbsp freshly ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground oregano leaves
- 1 Tbsp dehydrated garlic
- 2 tsp kosher salt or more to taste
- 1 Tbsp Ancho Chile powder
- 2 tsp New Mexican Chili Powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
In a large rondeau pan, cook ground leg of lamb over medium-high heat until browned. Drain fat and set meat aside. In same rondeau, sauté onions over medium-high heat until translucent.
Add Bowl of Red spice mix and stir, continuing to sauté for 2 minutes. Add Ro-Tel tomatoes and tomato paste and stir.
Pour in beer and reduce heat to a simmer. Add ground lamb and sausage and continue to simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
If chili is too thick, water or chicken stock may be added. Add slowly and continuously until proper consistency is achieved.
Yields 2 quarts.